Wednesday, 13 March 2013

A job interview

It may seem strange that I am writing about a job interview when I have already written about how we are trying to get myself assigned as my partner's full time carer. However, today's interview was actually arranged nearly three weeks ago, before we had made this decision.

I kept the interview all the same because it would provide me with a little experience and I could ask whether the job could suit me part time when I do get my carer status. So, after a troubled nights sleep (Mandy had a hypo - she is diabetic), I got myself ready in my suit. I made a special effort with my hair, blow drying it the way I had been shown when I had my hair cut back in December. I did my makeup and then finished my hair with a ton of hairspray, the last thing I wanted was to worry about hair disasters today!

The interview was at 9.00 and I made the decision to walk all the way across Taunton rather than drive. It was a good thirty minutes away but I estimated driving would take twenty minutes at least because of the time of day. Sure enough as I walked up through East Reach, it was in it's usual gridlocked state.

I got to where I needed to go and surprisingly, there wasn't too much sign of the usual job interview nerves. This wasn't actually my first as Lucy, I did have one last year. I went in and am greeted by two ladies, one rings someone about me and the other asks me if we have done some training in the past. Now this was interesting because I had not but she was adamant that she recognised me. I explained that I was a transsexual and prior to July, she would only have seen me as a man anyway. I wonder whether I was convincing enough that I was being mistaken for another woman? I take it this way because I am sure she wasn't mistaking me for another transsexual!

The lady doing the interviews was late in because of a problem and after a fair while, I was asked to come upstairs. In fact, it was two flights of quite steep stairs. I was sat down in an office and before we started, I started out explaining that my circumstances had changed. However, a couple of sentences in, I had to stop and try to get my breath from those stairs! I got back on track and it and explained about us trying to get me as a carer's role and they seemed very understanding. In fact they even got a calculator out to try to work out if it could be worked in with being a carer - you are allowed to earn a small amount on this benefit. It didn't but they seemed very keen to try to accommodate me. In the end we left it at that and they said I was welcome to come back to them in the next six months if my situation changed.

I felt I handled this quite well, I didn't want to waste their time but didn't want to cancel either. I feel that if our claim for Mandy's disability doesn't go through, I still have the option of approaching them again for a job and that I haven't shunned myself from a potential employer. 

So a good result in a way and if nothing else, a good bit of practice! 

3 comments:

  1. Nice one, Lucy. As ever you have appeared to handled everything well and the results seem quite positive.

    I do hope Mandy is OK. I've had my own experiences of dealing with hypos and know how worrying they can be.

    Susan XXX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lucy,
    Congratulations on the job interview and I do hope you get the job. Actually, I hope the disability claim comes through and you do not have to work or work only part time. I think its a great testimonial and confidence builder that you got along so well and passed so well. I know that you have your name changed legally but I cannot remember if you have your gender marker changed. If you do, I wonder why you informed them that you are transsexual. Its probably best to be upfront about it, but I just wonder why you told you them right away.
    Hugs,
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tammy,

      My name is indeed changed and I go as Mrs. Lucy so there is no doubt as to the gender I present. Gender markers are a complex situation in the UK and I don't get too worried by them because technically you aren't truly female until you have a GRC (gender recognition certificate) which takes two years of RLE to get (and mine only started a few weeks ago with my first visit to the gender clinic and not July when I changed my name). I informed them I was TS because I was asked what I wanted from an employer, to which I replied, understanding my needs for appointments to the gender clinic. They obviously had no problems as I got the the interview.

      Lucy x

      Delete