Saturday, 9 March 2013

Lazy Saturdays

This may seem a surprise to some, but Saturday is what I consider Mandy and my day off. For someone who is not even working at the moment, why on earth would I need a day off?

Actually, I get to Friday and find myself quite tired. The whole job-hunting, taking Mandy out, shopping and keeping everything else going does take it out of me and Saturday is the one day where I don't go out at all. I like to give my skin a break from the makeup but I also like to have one day a week where it is for myself only.

Back to my current situation, we spoke to a very nice lady from social services yesterday who came to visit us. She took some notes, assessed Mandy and suggested that me being full time carer was a very suitable idea in this case. She is sorting the paperwork out next week and we keep our fingers crossed that we can get this acknowledged. Once sorted, I will then look to work part time and possibly some other voluntary work as well. I would still need to do something outside of the house and I would also like to try to contribute something. Living on benefits and doing nothing is not the way I would want to go.

I do still have a job interview next week and will explain the situation to them. They do employ people on a part time basis and this may be ideal for what I am looking for.

4 comments:

  1. It always amused me that my step-father insisted on a 'day off' long into his retirement. "We can't see you on Monday," he would say. "It's our day off."

    Now that I'm retired myself, I understand the logic. Every day can so easily become the same, so it's good to give the week a structure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Angie,

      I would have found this suggestion hard to comprehend, but it is perhaps the merging of similar days that leads me to have this one day off!

      Lucy x

      Delete
  2. Lucy,

    As I mentioned when we spoke, since retiring my weeks have become "inverted" with the weekdays for activities and the weeknds for staying in. It's no hard and fast rule but does tend to work out this way. I too like to have the occasional "day in" doing very little, but I can soon become stir crazy. It's good to have regular "days off", especially if like me you enjoy a degree of routine in your life.

    Susan XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan,

      It really is one of those things you find hard to understand until you are in this situation.

      Routine? I simply don't have any at the moment and am struggling to get some order in my life! This is a busy old week as we talked about but at least next week looks like it could be settling down!

      Lucy x

      Delete