Saturday, 22 August 2015


It is really sad that for over three weeks, my blog has been sat with a post about the aftermath of hate crime at the very top. This was an unfortunate occurrence but I have not felt able to write anything in that time. I have struggled the last few weeks with it all and the fallout from it too. Today I was contacted by the police and informed that there is nothing they can do because there is no evidence to support a conviction. I am not surprised by this and saddened that because my attacker is a liar, justice can not proceed. Even more saddening is that I was told again this week, by social services this time, that if I had sustained an injury more could be done about it; that I have to be hurt before anything can be done.

However, this is good now in that I have closure on it all and that I can talk about it freely. I am not going to describe it in great detail because that would be triggering to me and possibly to anyone reading this. However, some elements I can reveal that are not triggering.

The assault occurred at the day centre my partner (used to) attend. I was attacked by a service user who is related to one of the staff there. The attack happened because staff had talked to a service user about an issue I had with the staff there misgendering me. In essence Mandy and myself were failed in many ways by a service that is supposed to care for its patrons. Our confidentiality was breached in many ways by staff gossiping and directly led to me being assaulted.

A massive part of our difficulties in all this is the fact that Mandy had lost her social activities because of no longer going to this day centre. This led to guilt on my part too, I felt in some way responsible, even though I clearly was not. Her isolation was starting to become apparent. 

We decided in the end to try another day centre, one that social services had actually suggested we not attend. We were desperate and decided to give this one a go. We were pleasantly surprised, it had more structure than the old one as well as seeming to care much more about its users. In the end we have discovered how shit the old day centre had become. 

My conversation with the police today saw us reflecting on the positives. 
  • My attacker has been inconvenienced because he had to be formally questioned at a police station some distance from his home. He had the opportunity to admit his guilt and be served restorative justice on the day. Instead he was an asshole and paid with his own time, fuel and the cost of his solicitor. He will think twice before attempting this with me again.
  • Mandy has found a far better day centre than the one she was at.
  • Social services recognised we were in crisis and have reassessed us leading to a rethink of Mandy's social activities. They have also discussed my future plans and how I want to develop myself academically with acknowledgement of our needs when I do this. 
  • I have significantly educated an police officer with an insight into the trans world. She was not convinced it was a hate crime when she arrived that day but when she left three hours later, she was determined to get something out of this for me, even though sadly she didn't
It has been a phenomenally difficult month but thankfully there have been some rays of light in it all to keep us going. I am even more grateful for my voluntary work, that has been the escape I needed once a week. 

Now I feel I can accept that closure and move on.


  1. Dear Lucy, thank you for taking the time to write this post. I hope that doing so has further helped you both put the hurts of the past behind you and to move on to a brighter future. 'Closure' indeed! I'm so happy, too, that Mandy has ended up with a Day Centre where she, and you, are really happy. I wonder why Social Services were reluctant to recommend it? Past mistakes, maybe.

    The other positive outcomes you list are good ones too. Well done!

  2. That centre has breached the law by failing to keep your status private. They are the ones at fault and could be prosecuted!

  3. Even though this post was about closure, actually it isn't over quite yet!

    Yes, the day centre has breached many ethical standards and probably one or two laws. However it is likely to be a civil matter.

    We have not given up yet in that regards. Social services are investigating the whole incident and we are awaiting news on that. I also have other options open to me still and I will pursue them when this first avenue closes if it needs to happen.

    Now that this part of it is over, I can concentrate on other ways of getting justice.

    As long as it doesn't become to revenge oriented. That would not be good for me.

    Lucy x